Grants of up to £1,000 are available through the Microbiology Society’s Education and Outreach program for members residing in the UK or Republic of Ireland, including those working in schools.
The grants are intended for innovative outreach activities that support relevant science teaching or initiatives and developments likely to lead to an improvement in the teaching of any aspect of microbiology.
Eligible activities can include:
- Talks, workshops, demonstrations, posters, leaflets, broadcasts, activities at science festivals and audio-visual or computer-based packages;
- Activities that take place as part of a National Science and Engineering Week event at the applicant’s place of work;
- Running a school or college-based science week activity (e.g. hands-on or programme of talks);
- Supporting microbiology activities in an out-of-school science club;
- Buying materials and equipment outside of normal department resources to support a microbiology activity (no more than £500 can be used toward large equipment such as microscopes and incubators);
- A class visit to a microbiology laboratory to carry out activities; and
- Organising a visit to or from a working microbiologist.